LISTSERV Archives

ORTHODOX Home

ORTHODOX  January 2002, Week 4

ORTHODOX January 2002, Week 4

Re: Post Assisi Apostasy

Christopher Little <[log in to unmask]>

Orthodox Christianity <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:27:54 -0500

text/plain

An account of an SSPXer who was there.  Waiting to see if the Levfeberites
begin to gain a new appreciation for St. Mark of Ephesus -- but not holding
my breath. ;>)  CL

 ROME - (January 26, 2002) The Event included two concocted liturgies: one
for "Christians" in the lower basilica, and the other for the polyglot
assembly as a whole, which was conducted in two parts, one before and one
after all the religions had conducted their assorted prayers and rituals in
the Convent rooms. These two liturgies comprised a veritable orgy of
novelty, the former being steeped in precisely the communicatio in sacris
with heretics and schismatics that was constantly forbidden by the Church's
preconciliar ecclesiastical law.

The Vatican's official booklet on the Event makes it quite clear that the
purpose of what it calls "the Ecumenical celebration" in the lower basilica
was to demonstrate that all "Christians" are "disciples of Christ." The
first caption in the booklet setting forth the order of the rite
is "Together as Christ's Disciples." The next caption is "An Evangelical
Witness for All," and the next "A Common Prayer."

It was all I could do to restrain myself from shouting out in the press
room as I watched the Pope and "the representatives of the Churches and
Ecclesial Communities" process up the center aisle of the lower basilica to
conduct an "enthronement of the Book of the Gospels"--on the same altar
where the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was celebrated for centuries by monks
who would rather die than legitimate heresy. The "Book of the Gospels" was
carried by an Orthodox deacon, while four laypersons from "Churches and
ecclesial communities" carried silly lamps.

The spectacle culminated with the incensing of the "Book of the Gospels",
whose divine teaching is rejected and despised in large measure by the
train of heretics and schismatics the Pope led to the altar as if they were
members of his flock, as opposed to dissidents who refuse to return to the
one true Church. The train of dissidents included representatives of
various Orthodox churches, the World Baptist Alliance, the Church of
Scotland, the Quakers, the Pentecostals, and something called the Disciples
of Christ.

There were three invocations of the Trinity: one by a representative of the
Church of Scotland, one by a Quaker, and one by a member of the World
Baptist Alliance. The Church of Scotland teaches that abortion is morally
acceptable under "extreme circumstances (i.e. serious risk to the health of
the mother), when her [the mother's] needs override the rights of the
fetus."  Many of the more liberal Baptists in the "World Baptist Alliance"
believe this as well. So, the Pope allowed an invocation of the Trinity
by "Christians" whose "ecclesial communities" teach that God's law permits
murder in the womb sometimes.

But curiously enough--and perhaps by divine intervention--these invocations
of the Trinity did not actually invoke the Trinity. The thrice-
repeated "invocation" declares simply: "Blessed be God, Father, Son and
Holy Spirit." At no time did the Pope or any of the heretics and
schismatics dare to declare, as part of this travesty, In the name of the
Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

In the typical blah-blah-blah style of the Novus Ordo, however, there were
a number of inane declarations by which the people in this mixed assembly
told God all about Himself. For example, "Lord, powerful God and prince of
peace, your dominion will be great, and your peace without end," or "Lord,
God of mercy and source of every consolation: you proclaimed peace to those
who are far and those who are near." Huh?

It as if the Pope thinks that in the twilight of his pontificate he must
redouble his efforts to be novel, to find the one grand gesture that will
accomplish the great ecumenical breakthrough he stubbornly pursues toward
the ever-receding horizon of world history. What motivates these spectacles
appears to be the notion that if one acts as if there is unity among
contradictory and warring religions, then there will be unity. The result,
however, is nothing but a sacrilege which perpetuates the false impression
that the dissidents need not return to the true Church, and that in fact
they already belong to it in some considerable measure. Why else would the
Pope himself conduct liturgies with laymen pretending to be clerics, and
Orthodox clergy who adamantly reject his primary of teaching and governance?

Then there was the liturgy for the polyglot assembly. One by one the
worshipers of various gods, spirits and idols were allowed to take to the
pulpit set up in front of the Pope and deliver mini-sermons on world peace
from their particular religious "perspectives." I watched in horror--and
literally began to sweat in distress--as the Vicar of Christ sat there
listening to a Buddhist monk, one Geshe Tashi Tsering, wail out a reading
from the Shantideva. Among other things, he wailed (translation provided by
the Vatican): "As long as space endures, as long as sentient beings remain,
until then, may I too remain and dispel the miseries of the world." In the
state of Nirvana, you see, and after a long cycle of reincarnation and
purification, men will experience the extinction of desire and individual
consciousness through absorption into the divine, and there will no longer
be any individual, sentient human beings. (I wonder how many there were at
Assisi that day.) In the meantime, while we are still sentient beings, we
need to have world peace. And this is what the Pope allowed to be preached
from a pulpit he provided--more than 2,000 years after Christ the King came
to dispel such spirit-killing nonsense with the light of the Word Incarnate.

Of course, the mini-sermons were also a splendid opportunity for the non-
Catholic sermonizers to remind the Church of how bad she was before the
pontificate of John Paul II. Rabbi Israel Singer's text declared that "John
Paul II has corrected the abuses which have historically been used to
justify violence against non-Christians." At the same time, however, Singer
defended all of Israel's wars against its enemies as being motivated by
divine imperatives. Singer departed from his text to declare that "only you
[i.e. John Paul II] could make this happen." No argument there. And, to his
credit, Singer offered the spontaneous remark that "You [meaning everyone
there] should tell your people, and we should tell ours--all of us--to
question whether land or places are more important than people's lives. And
until you do that, there will be no peace." The very next day Corriere
della Serra reported the objections of local Jewish leaders that the
Vatican had chosen Singer and the other 10 rabbis were invited to the Event
individually, without consultations with any of the organizations claiming
to represent Judaism, and that the Jews were thus not allowed to choose
their own representatives of Judaism. The same day, Israel began aerial
bombardments of Palestinian targets.

After the mini-sermons (and following the rituals in the separate rooms,
and the liturgy for the Christians) came the lighting of the little oil
lamps, which the representatives of the various religions carried in
procession to a table set up on a tripod, upon which the lamps were
gathered together to symbolize the supposed commitment of all the religions
to world peace. The Pope was to deposit the first little lamp on the
tripod, but at the last minute the task was given to Bishop Pierro Marini,
the master of pontifical liturgical celebrations, who devised the entire
liturgy. The Vatican liturgists were obviously very pleased with the oil
lamps. A full-page picture of one is featured at page 88 of the Vatican's
program booklet for the Event. The back of the page tells us that the lamp,
dubbed "the Light of Hope," was designed by Sister M. Agar Loche.

And so there the Pope sat, regarding the great manifestation of the Day of
Prayer for World Peace: a table full of little burning oil lamps, perched
on a spindly tripod. As I looked at the tripod and the lamps, with the
crude abstract carvings on their wooden bases, I thought immediately of one
thing: Star Trek. Yes, if the Klingons had a liturgy, it probably would
include something like this.

But easily the most trenchant comment on the Event was made by one of the
journalists in the press room, a very clean-cut young man who suddenly
burst out in song, recalling the immortal words of John Lennon and Yoko
Ono: "All we are SAAAYing, is give peace a chance." A whole row of
reporters, myself included, erupted in laughter. You just had to laugh. The
spectacle was that ridiculous.

I had had my fill of Assisi. I was not interested in touring the city,
which, by the way, requires the cardiovascular conditioning of a mountain
climber, since everything is uphill from the Basilica of Saint Francis. One
even has to climb hills inside of restaurants, which are built on the side
of the mountain.

On the way back to Rome in the train I encountered an elderly woman with
her belongings in a shopping cart. She looked and sounded crazy, until I
began to listen to her carefully and realized that she was dispensing
utterly sound and classically formulated spiritual advice to anyone who
would listen. She even told a young woman, in tones of great motherly
concern, that she should not dress in the manner of a prostitute because it
offends God, who sees her precious soul defiled. The young woman accepted
this advice meekly and with a smile. I dubbed the saintly bag lady Santa
Joanna Battista del Treno--Saint Joan the Baptist of the Train. As she
spoke, a small crowd began to gather in the space between the cars; they
were listening to the bag lady. She gave me a Miraculous Medal, and told me
how it converted the Jewish atheist, Ratisbone, which I said I knew well.
There would not, of course, be any distribution of Miraculous Medicals
during the Day of Prayer for Peace in Assisi. Nor would the intercession of
the Mother of God be mentioned even once. As for the praying of the Rosary,
well, that would have been unthinkable.

Shortly before we arrived at Roma Termini, Saint Joanna of the Train began
to describe the great Bordeau red backdrop at the Event, noting how it had
lacked a Crucifix or any other sign of Christ. Thus emboldened, I told her
that I regarded the whole event as a scandal. I expected an objection and a
defense of John Paul II's "vision," but instead her face brightened as she
exclaimed "Thank you!" and shook my hand vigorously. At last she had found
someone who agreed with her.

She was hardly alone among Catholics in Italy. Cardinal Biffi refused to
attend the Event, and the BBC reported that Federico Bricolo and Massimo
Polledri, members of an Italian government coalition party, had issued a
statement declaring that "To pray with heretics, schismatics, rabbis,
mullahs, witch doctors and various idolaters creates confusion among
Catholic believers." (I tried to set up an interview, but as Bricolo and
Polledri are from northern Italy, it could not be arranged for at least a
week.) According to my contacts in Rome, there is indeed a large
undercurrent of resentment about the Event among priests and other serious
Catholics here. But none of them dares to be seen swimming openly against
the current of adulation manifested by the crowd at Assisi, whose reaction
to the Event was on the level of: "Giovanni Paulo, clap-clap-clap-CLAP!!!!"

So now I am back in Rome, about to complete my assignment for The Remnant,
whose correspondent I am proud to be. And it occurs to me that the neo-
Catholics will have yet another hair-splitting excuse for the Pope in his
incessant pursuit of unheard-of novelties. They will say, I expect, that
while Pius XI condemned the notion that all religions are more or less good
and praiseworthy, he was speaking only in the context of a "false
ecumenism," whereas John Paul II calls the different religions together
only for the limited purpose of praying for world peace.

Let me conclude my assignment, then, not with any opinion of mine, but with
the solemn teaching of Saint Pius X on this very question of making common
cause with false religions for world peace. (We will put aside the
sacrileges in the Sacred Convent and the sermons by witchdoctors and
Buddhists, which not even the neo-Catholics will try to justify.) In his
apostolic letter condemning the Sillon movement in France, Saint Pius X
described the following movement in order to condemn it:

For the construction of the Future City they appealed to the workers of all
religions and all sects. These were asked but one thing: to share the same
social ideal, to respect all creeds, and to bring with them a certain
supply of moral force. Admittedly: they declared that 'The leaders of the
Sillon place their [Catholic] religious faith above everything. But can
they deny others the right to draw their moral energy from whence they can?
In return, they expect others to respect their right to draw their own
moral energy from the Catholic Faith. Accordingly they ask all those who
want to change today's society in the direction of Democracy, not to oppose
each other on account of the philosophical or religious convictions which
may separate them, but to march hand in hand, not renouncing their
convictions, but trying to provide on the ground of practical realities,
the proof of the excellence of their personal convictions. Perhaps a union
will be effected on this ground of emulation between souls holding
different religious or philosophical convictions.

Notice that Saint Pius X here describes a unity action among the different
religions, in which practical unity each person retains his own religious
convictions and there is no syncretism. Sound familiar? Saint Pius X went
on to observe:

This being said, what must be thought of the promiscuity in which young
Catholics will be caught up with heterodox and unbelieving folk in a work
of this nature? Is it not a thousand-fold more dangerous for them than a
neutral association? What are we to think of this appeal to all the
heterodox, and to all the unbelievers, to prove the excellence of their
convictions in the social sphere in a sort of apologetic contest? Has not
this contest lasted for nineteen centuries in conditions less dangerous for
the faith of Catholics? And was it not all to the credit of the Catholic
Church? What are we to think of this respect for all errors, and of this
strange invitation made by a Catholic to all the dissidents to strengthen
their convictions through study so that they may have more and more
abundant sources of fresh forces?

Saint Pius X concluded by teaching Catholics what they must think of such
an association of different religions, each keeping its own convictions,
for the attainment of "world peace and justice." He taught that Catholics
must avoid it like the plague:

But stranger still, alarming and saddening at the same time, are the
audacity and frivolity of men who call themselves Catholics and dream of re-
shaping society under such conditions, and of establishing on earth, over
and beyond the pale of the Catholic Church, 'the reign of love and justice'
with workers coming from everywhere, of all religions and of no religion,
with or without beliefs…. What are they going to produce? What is to come
of this collaboration? A mere verbal and chimerical construction in which
we shall see, glowing in a jumble, and in seductive confusion, the words
Liberty, Justice, Fraternity, Love, Equality, and human exultation, all
resting upon an ill-understood human dignity…. And now, overwhelmed with
the deepest sadness, We ask Ourselves, Venerable Brethren, what has become
of the Catholicism of the Sillon? Alas! this organization which formerly
afforded such promising expectations, this limpid and impetuous stream, has
been harnessed in its course by the modern enemies of the Church, and is
now no more than a miserable affluent of the great movement of apostasy
being organized in every country for the establishment of a One-World
Church… No, Venerable Brethren, We must repeat with the utmost energy in
these times of social and intellectual anarchy when everyone takes it upon
himself to teach as a teacher and lawmaker--the City cannot be built
otherwise than as God has built it; society cannot be setup unless the
Church lays the foundations and supervises the work; no, civilization is
not something yet to be found, nor is the New City to be built on hazy
notions; it has been in existence and still is: it is Christian
civilization, it is the Catholic City. It has only to be set up and
restored continually against the unremitting attacks of insane dreamers,
rebels and miscreants. OMNIA INSTAURARE IN CHRISTO.

Let the neo-Catholic hair-splitters explain how what I have just witnessed
is materially different from the notions Saint Pius X condemned. Let them
tell us with a straight face that Saint Pius X would regard with anything
but absolute shock and horror the Day of Prayer for World Peace at Assisi
2002.

And with that I will pack my bags. God willing, I will be home tomorrow.

-
-
-
To unsubscribe send UNSUBSCRIBE ORTHODOX to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop receiving messages send SET ORTHODOX NOMAIL
Archives accessible at http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/orthodox.html