Re: 2nd Century evidence for Toll Houses

Fr Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>

Orthodox Christianity <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:16:00 +1200

text/plain

----- Original Message -----
From: "Athanasios Jayne" <[log in to unmask]>

> Blessed Theophylact gives the following explanation of Matt. 5:25-26,
>
> "[First quoting the text] Agree with thine adversary quickly, while thou
art on the way with him, lest thy adversary deliver thee to the judge, and
the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily
I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid
the uttermost farthing [or, "last Quadrans/penny"].
>     Some believe the "adversary" to mean the devil, and "the way" to mean
our life. The Lord is thus exhorting us: while you are still in this life,
give back to the devil what belongs to him and be done with him, so that
later he will not be able to accuse you of some sin, as if you had
something that belonged to him.  For then you will be handed over to
punishment so that you make an accounting for even the smallest
> transgressions.  For a farthing [i.e., Quadrans] equals two mites." [end
quote]
------------------

Response:

Can it be that all these holy fathers were just ignorant of an important
aspect of the Divine Ekonomia, i.e., aerial judgement by demons at toll
houses?  Are the toll houses, then, ontological realities in the Divine
Ekonomia, just as are the Incarnation, the Transfiguration, the Crucifixion,
the Resurrection of Christ and the Ascension? Or are the mere metaphors,
poorly chosen from Gnostic sources? If the former, why were so many of the
holy fathers so ignorant of them; if the latter, then why not just concur
with the holy fathers and teach the straight truth instead of such a
destructive metaphor?

According to St Cyril of Jerusalem:
 "Let us dread, then, brethren, lest God condemn us; Who needs not
examination or proofs to condemn...Out of thine own conscience shalt thou be
judged, the `thoughts the meanwhile accusing or else excusing, in the day
when God shall judge the secrets of men' (Rm.2:15-16). The awesome
countenance of the Judge will force thee to speak the truth; or rather, even
though thou speak not, it will convict thee...How then does the shepherd
make the separations (of the sheep from the kid-goats)? Does he examine out
of a book which is a sheep and which a kid-goat? Or does he distinguish from
their evident marks? Does not the wool show the sheep, and the hairy and
rough skin the goat? By thy vesture shalt thou be known as a
sheep."(Catechetical Lecture 18:14-15.)

 Thus, we are judged by our own consciences, and we are separated to the
"left" or to the "right," not by weighings or tortures, but by whether or
not we are robed in grace, in the Holy Spirit, which we must acquire in this
life, or else we will in no wise enter into the heavenly kingdom.

 St Aphraat likewise testifies:
 "Remember that the Apostle also said, `We shall judge angels' (1Cor.6:3).
And Ezekiel said concerning righteous men (Ez.23:21-22), they shall judge
Samaria and Jerusalem [Ahola and Aholibah]. Since then, the righteous are to
judge the wicked, He has made it clear concerning them that they shall not
come unto judgment." (Select Demonstrations, 22:15-16.)

 Our Saviour Himself declared:
 "I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, he that listens to my words and
believes on Him that sent Me, possesses eternal life, and shall not come
into judgment, but has passed already from death unto life." (Jn.5:24).

 Our Saviour did not say, "he who has attained special holiness" or "he who
has more good points than bad," or "he who has exceptional virtues," but "he
who listens and believes shall not come unto judgment, but has passed
already from death unto life."

 St Basil the Great, in his homilies on Psalms, says that the judge's
countenance is the divine illumination which sheds light into our guilty
hearts.(Homily On Psalms, 33:4.) At the "judgment" our accusers will be our
own sins, which will rise up before us in our memories.(Homily On Psalms,
48:2.)

 Similarly, St Gregory the Theologian writes that the true meaning of
judgment is that which presses upon a person's conscience. At the judgment,
our accusers (he says) will be our own thoughts and deeds: we will be
arraigned by our own consciences and led away self-convicted and
self-condemned. (Oration 16:8.)

St Ambrose of Milan understands that the judgment takes place in the
sinner's own conscience and as a result of God's knowledge of the heart
(Epst.2:9f; 73:3), "by His knowledge of the hearts and not by the
interrogation of deeds..."(see St Ambrose of Milan, The Good of Death,
para.45).

The early Christian philosopher Augustine of Hippo, in one of his rare
agreements with Orthodox understandings, also asserts that the "books which
will be opened" means the conscience of each individual, whose sins will
come flooding in on his recollection.(The City of God 20:14;
see Sermon 242, 4.)

St Abba Dorotheos and others explain in just such a context the Saviour's
parable, "When you go with your accuser (or, adversary) to the magistrate,
make diligent to be reconciled and be delivered from him in the way lest he
drag you to the judge, and the judge turn you over to the officer, and the
officer cast you into prison" (Lk.12:58).

 St Dorotheos and other fathers explain that "the adversary (or, accuser)"
is a person's conscience with which he must be reconciled in this
life,(Instruction 3, para.42.

Strangely some people have interpreted the "adversary" or "accuser" here as
being Satan or his demons. One wonders how they could imagine that Christ is
advising us to "be reconciled with Satan and his demons in the way."

-
-
-
To unsubscribe send UNSUBSCRIBE ORTHODOX to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop receiving messages send SET ORTHODOX NOMAIL
Archives accessible at http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/orthodox.html