Services of Passion Week: Meditation 7/8

James Silver <[log in to unmask]>

Orthodox Christianity <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:18:13 -0500

text/plain

                                        Date:     11-Apr-1996 10:31pm EST
                                        From:     Silver, James
                                                  JSILVER
                                        Dept:     STUDENT
                                        Tel No:   (201)-408-5487

TO:  Remote INTERNET Address              ( [log in to unmask] )

Subject: Services of Passion Week:  Meditation 7/8

The Holy Church has kept a silent widow's vigil at the tomb of her
Bridegroom for many hours now. No liturgical services have been held since
we replaced the Shroud in the Tomb during the night.  Everything:  nature,
the world, the Church, is silent, pregnant with hopeful anticipation.  Late
in the afternoon of Holy Saturday, around four o'clock, we assemble
once more for the Evening Service.

As we know, the liturgical day begins at sunset;  the first service of any
given liturgical day is, then, the Evening Service.  The Lord's Paskha is
no exception, and it is during the Evening Service on Holy Saturday
evening that the Church begins to celebrate Christ's Resurrection.  A
series of fifteen selections from the Prophets of the Old Covenant is read, all
prophecies relating to Christ's death and Resurrection.  After the last
prophecy, Psalm 81 is chanted with great solemnity, its verses separated
by a refrain consisting of the psalm's last verse:  `Arise, O God!  Judge
the earth, for You will have an inheritance in all the nations.'

While Psalm 81 is being chanted, the clergy change from the dark-colored
robes which they have been wearing, and vest themselves in white ones.  All the
hangings and drapery, as well as the covers of the Preparation Table and
the Holy Table are also changed from dark colors to white, as is the Veil
of the Altar.  When the change is completed, the Holy Doors are opened and
the refrain `Arise, O God!' is sung one last triumphant time.  The first
Gospel of the Resurrection is then read before the tomb in the midst of a
congregation often moved to tears of joy.  The service then continues, not
with the hymns of evening, but with the Liturgy of St Basil.

A fragment of the ancient and now rarely used Liturgy of St James is sung
today in place of the Kerubikon:  `Let all mortal flesh be silent, and
stand trembling in awe, contemplating nothing earthly within itself.  For
the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords comes forth to be slain, and to
give Himself as food to the faihful.  The Angelic Choirs go before Him,
with all the Principalities and Powers, the many-eyed Kerubim and the
six-winged Seraphim, who cover their faces as they chant the hymn:
HaleluYah!  HaleluYah!  HaleluYah!'

At the conclusion of the Liturgy, the faithful are given a little bread
and wine to sustain them, since the Triodion assumes that they will remain
in prayer in the Temple until the Midnight Service begins some four or
five hours later.  During this time, the Acts of the Apostles is read at a
lectern near the Tomb by several readers in rotation.  As often as the
reading of the Book of Acts is completed, it is begun again, and this
process is repeated as many times as is necessary to fill the time before
the Midnight Service.  The Holy Church has appointed the Acts of the
Apostles to be read at this time because it is full of the testimonies of
the first Christians concerning Christ's divine Resurrection.  After all,
one of the most important definitions of apostleship is being a witness to
the Resurrection of the Lord (Acts 1:22).

Several events are commemorated on Holy Saturday:  the entombment of
Christ, His proclaiming of salvation to the souls in Haides, and His
repose after completing His saving work.

It is important that we realize that the ikon which we venerate at the
Paskha does *not* depict Christ rising from the tomb.  Rather, Christ is
portrayed as He descends into Haides and releases all the `ancient
prisoners' (Oktoekhos).  The broken gates of Haides are trampled under His
feet, their locks and chains strewn about. `With a mighty hand and an
outstretched arm' (DT 5:15) He raises our father Adam and our mother Eve
from the pit of decay.  He pulls them up to safety, to salvation and
everlasting life, just as He pulled up Peter when he began to sink beneath
the waves (MT 14:31), just as He pulls us up when, like Peter, we cry out
to Him:  `Lord, save me!' (MT 14:30).

Surrounding the dynamic center of the ikon's action we see the Lord's
Disciples and the prophets, priests and kings of the Old Covenant who
foretold this blessed day, and who are now being raised to everlasting
life with Adam and Eve.  Satan, or a personification of Death (there is no
functional difference), is often portrayed as a monster bound hand and
foot below his broken gates, helpless now to exert any authority over
those whom Christ has saved.

Portrayals of Christ standing in an opened sarcophagus, triumphant banner
in hand, or emerging from a tomb's dark doorway cannot, under any
circumstances, be considered appropriate for Orthodox Christian ikons.
Although this is a common theme in the religious art of the unorthodox
world, especially in Western Europe, it is a fiction created by the mind
of the artist, and devoid of any theological significance.  * No one
witnessed Christ's emergence from the tomb!*  The guards who were present
were struck blind by the event, and bribed by officials of the Temple to
say that they had fallen asleep,  *but they saw nothing!*  The women who
brought myrrh to complete the anointing of Christ's body were informed by
the radiant Angel that Christ had risen.  The Angel told the women to
announce this news to the Apostles, but  *the women saw nothing*.

As for them, so for us:  we `behold the Resurrection of Christ' (Morning
Service of the Resurrection) only through the eyes of faith, since no human
being witnessed the event.  But we experience the effects of the
Resurrection in our own promised immortality in Christ, so we can know
empirically that Christ did truly rise from the dead.  In addition, He was
seen by many people after His own Resurrection, and He continued to teach
and heal and explain the Scriptures of the Old Covenant as they referred
to Himself (LK 24:44-45, Acts 1:3), until He was taken up to the Father to
reign at God's right hand, from where He sends the Holy Spirit, the
Comforter, Who guides and enlivens the Church throughout the ages.

`Now that we behold the Resurrection of Christ, let us worship the holy
Lord Jesus, Who alone is sinless.  We venerate Your Cross, O Christ, and
sing the glory of Your Resurrection, for You are our God.'

Peace and blessings to all as we approach the Lord's Resurection.

James

Fr James Silver
CM 253 Drew University
P.O. Box 802