Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ORTHODOX Home

ORTHODOX  April 1996, Week 3

ORTHODOX April 1996, Week 3

Re: Lifegiving Font (the story)

Fr Seraphim Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Orthodox Christianity <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Apr 1996 08:00:31 +0000

text/plain

> Date:          Fri, 19 Apr 1996 21:39:21 -0700
> From:          "Steven J. Shearer" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Lifegiving Font
> Today we celebrated the Lifegiving Font.  Could someone please explain =
> what this is about?

From the EXCELLENT home page of St John the Baptist Cathedral
(http://www.stjohndc.org, also accesible from our page's
(http://dfw.orthodox.net/saint_nicholas) "links" section):

The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Washington,
D.C.

                                                    MOTHER OF GOD

Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos the "Life-giving Spring"

This icon has a wonderful and comforting appearance. Depicted is an
enormous stone chalice, standing in a wide reservoir, filled with
water. Above the chalice, holding in Her arms the Preeternal Infant
and wearing a crown, hovers the Most Holy Virgin.

To the reservoir filled with life-giving water have streamed those who
thirst. The unfortunate and life-weary drink of the water and become
strong and invigorated. What a wonderful sign ...

It was the 5th century. At that time, in Constantinople, near the
so-called "Golden Gates," there was a grove filled with cypress and
plane trees, long since dedicated to the Most Holy Theotokos. Within
the grove there was a spring, likewise long renowned as a source of
miracles. Gradually, the site became overgrown with shrubbery, and the
water receded into the mud. Only from the dampness of the earth could
one deduce the existence of the spring.

Once upon a time, the warrior Leo Marcellus passed the site, where he
met a helpless traveler, a blind man who had lost his way and could
not find his way out. Leo helped him get out onto the path, and led
the man, weakened by exhaustion, into the shade to rest, while he
himself went off in search of water to refresh the blind one. Then he
suddenly heard a voice say: "Leo, do not search far off for water. It
is close by." Leo, amazed by the mysterious voice, began to look
around, but could find no water. As he stood, sad and pensive, the
same voice again addressed him: "King Leo! Go into the shade of the
grove, draw of the water which you will find there, and give it to the
one who thirsts. Place the mud which you find in the spring upon his
eyes. Then you will learn who I am, who it is that for so long has
blessed this site. Soon I will help you to erect here a church bearing
My name, and all who come here and with faith call upon My name will
have their prayers answered, and will be completely healed of their
sicknesses.

As soon as Leo, hurriedly reaching the appointed place, had taken mud
from the spring and placed it on the eyes of the blind man and had
given him some of the water to drink, the blind man immediately
regained hi s sight. Without a guide, he went into Constantinople,
glorifying the grace of the Theotokos.

This occurred during the reign of Emperor Marcian (391-457).

Emperor Marcian was succeeded by Leo Marceilus (457-473). He
remembered the appearance of the Theotokos, and ordered that the
spring be cleaned of the ooze; earthworks were built to isolate the
stream of that spring from other nearby springs, and the water was
confined in a large circular stone pool, above which was built a
church dedicated to the Theotokos.

Emperor Leo called this spring the "Life-giving Spring", for there was
revealed the miraculous grace of the Theotokos.

One hundred years after Marcian, reigned the emperor Justinian the
Great (527-565), a man greatly devoted to the Orthodox faith. For a
long time he suffered from edema, finding no help from doctors, and
already considering himself condemned to death. One midnight he heard
a voice saying: "You, O king, cannot return to health unless you drink
from My spring." The king did not know of which spring the voice
spoke, and he fell into despair. Then, during the day, the Theotokos
appeared to him, and said: "Arise, O king, go to My spring, and drink
of it, and you will be healthy, as you were before." The sick man
acted according to the Lady's will. He found the spring, drank of its
water, and soon regained his health. Near the church built by Leo, the
grateful emperor erected a new magnificent church, where later was
founded a populous monastery.

In the 15th Century, the Imperial City fell into the hands of the
Muslims. The famous Church of the Life-giving Spring was destroyed,
and its building materials were used to construct the mosque of Sultan
Bayazet. The church site was covered with earth and crushed stone, so
that the very foundations of the church disappeared from sight. The
beautiful surrounding areas were turned into a Muslim cemetery. A
Turkish sentinel, placed at the ruins of the church, forbade
Christians not only to gather at the site, but even to approach there.

Little by little, the strictness of this ban eased, and Christians
were permitted to build a small church there. However, in 1821, it was
destroyed as well, and the spring itself was filled in. Once again
Christians cleaned up the ruins, reopened the spring, and once again
drew water from it. Even upon these shards of the former magnificent
holy structure, the Theotokos, as before, granted hearings through Her
grace. Later, among the broken pieces in one of the windows was found,
already half-rotted away through time and dampness, a panel on which
were recorded 10 miracles which occurred at the Life-giving Spring
during the period 1824-1829.

During the reign of Sultan Mahmoud, the Orthodox received a measure of
freedom to conduct religious services. They used it to erect, for the
third time, a church above the Life-giving Spring. In 1835, with great
pomp, the Ecumenical Patriarch Constantine, celebrating with 20
bishops and an enormous flood of the faithful, consecrated the church
which stands to this day. Nearby was built a hospital and alms-house.
Even the Muslims spoke with great respect of the Life-giving Spring,
and of the Theotokos, Who through it pours out Her grace-filled power.
"Great among women Holy Mary" is how they refer to the Most Holy
Virgin. The water from the Life-giving Spring they call the "water of
Holy Mary."

It is impossible to recount all of the miracles flowing from the
Life-giving Spring and bringing grace to kings, to patriarchs, to
noted as well as ordinary people. The power of grace acts to this day
through the water of the spring. That power is personally experienced
not only by Orthodox, but by Catholics, Armenians, and even by the
Turks.

Copyright 1996 by The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. John the
Baptist 4001 17th St. Northwest, Washington, D.C. (202) 726-3000

Please abide by their published usage restrictions: "While all of
the materials on these pages are copyrighted, you may use them freely
as long as you treat them with respect, and provide attribution to
the Cathedral Church of St. John the Baptist "

Fr. Seraphim Holland | [log in to unmask]    Phone: 214/924-3598
St. Nicholas, Dallas | Home Address: Rt. 2, Box 96C, Anna TX 75409
Prayers, Services, about Confession, Q&A, FAQs, Parish info, links,
Complete ROCOR directory --> http://dfw.orthodox.net/saint_nicholas
+           ----------> SWOMC June 27-30 1996 <----------         +
+ 2nd Annual Southwest Orthodox Missions Conference, Dallas Texas +
+     Email, call, write or see our Web page for information!     +