]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ORTHODOX Home

ORTHODOX  December 1996, Week 1

ORTHODOX December 1996, Week 1

Holy Communion (was Re: LITURGICAL SHOCKER)

Miroljub Ruzic <[log in to unmask]>

Orthodox Christianity <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:34:13 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

St. John Chrysostom

HOMILY III  ON  EPHESIANS (1:15-20)

Further, our discourse is concerning this Body, and as many of us as
partake of that Body and taste of that Blood, are partaking of that which
is in no wise different from that Body, nor separate. Consider that we
taste of that Body that sitteth above, that is adored by Angels, that is
next to the Power that is incorruptible. Alas! how many ways to salvation
are open to us! He hath made us His own body, He hath imparted to us His
own body, and yet not one of these things turns us away from what is
evil. Oh the darkness, the depth of the abyss, the apathy ! "Set your
mind," saith he, "on the things that are above, where Christ is, seated
on the right hand of God." (Col. 3: 1.) And after all this, some set
their affections upon money, or licentiousness, others are carried
captive by their passions !

Do ye not see, that even in our own body, when any part is superfluous
and useless, it is cut off, is cut away? It is of no use that it has
belonged to the body, when it is mutilated, when it is mortified, when it
is decayed, when it is detrimental to the rest. Let us not then be too
confident, because we have been once made members of this body. If this
body of ours, though but a natural body, nevertheless suffers amputation,
what dreadful evil shall it not undergo, if the moral principle should
fail? When the body partakes not of this natural food, when the pores are
stopped up, then it mortifies; when the ducts are closed, then it is
palsied. So is it with us also, when we stop our ears, our soul becomes
palsied; when we partake not of the spiritual food, when, instead of
corrupt bodily humors, evil dispositions impair us, all these things
engender disease, dangerous disease, disease that wastes. And then there
will be need of that fire, there will be need of that cutting asunder.
For Christ cannot endure that we should enter into the bride- chamber
with such a body as this. If He led away, and cast out the man that was
clothed in filthy garments, what will He not do unto the man who attaches
filth to the body; how will He not dispose of him?

I observe many partaking of Christ's Body lightly and just as it happens,
and rather from custom and form, than consideration and understanding.
When, saith a man, the holy season of Lent sets in, whatever a man may
be, he partakes of the mysteries, or, when the day of the Lord's Epiphany
comes. And yet it is not the Epiphany, nor is it Lent, that makes a fit
time for approaching, but it is sincerity and purity of soul. With this,
approach at all times; without it, never. "For as often," (1 Cor. 11:
26.) saith he, "as ye do this, ye proclaim the Lord's death," i.e., "ye
make a remembrance of the salvation that has been wrought for you, and of
the benefits which I have bestowed."

Consider those who partook of the sacrifices under the old Covenant, how
great abstinence did they practice? How did they not conduct themselves?
What did they not perform? They were always purifying themselves. And
dost thou, when thou drawest nigh to a sacrifice, at which the very
Angels tremble, dost thou measure the matter by the revolutions of
seasons? and how shall thou present thyself before the judgment-seat of
Christ, thou who presumest upon His body with polluted hands and lips?
Thou wouldest not presume to kiss a king with an unclean mouth, and the
King of heaven dost thou kiss with an unclean soul? It is an outrage.
Tell me, wouldest thou choose to come to the Sacrifice with unwashen
hands? No, I suppose, not. But thou wouldest rather choose not to come at
all, than come with soiled hands.

And then, thus scrupulous as thou art in this little matter, dost thou
come with soiled soul, and thus dare to touch it? And yet the hands hold
it but for a time, whereas into the soul it is dissolved entirely, What,
do ye not see the holy vessels so thoroughly cleansed all over, so
resplendent? Our souls ought to be purer than they, more holy, more
brilliant. And why so? Because those vessels are made so for our sakes.
They partake not of Him that is in them, they perceive Him not. But we
do;-- yes, verily. Now then, thou wouldest not choose to make use of a
soiled vessel, and dost thou approach with a soiled soul? Observe the
vast inconsistency of the thing. At the other times ye come not, no, not
though often ye are clean; but at Easter, however flagrant an act ye may
have committed, ye come.

Oh! the force of custom and of prejudice ! In vain is the daily
Sacrifice, in vain do we stand before the Altar; there is no one to
partake. These things I am saying, not to induce you to partake any how,
but that ye should render yourselves worthy to partake. Art thou not
worthy of the Sacrifice, nor of the participation? If so, then neither
art thou of the prayer. Thou hearest the herald standing, and saying, "As
many as are in penitence, all pray." As many as do not partake, are in
penitence. If thou art one of those that are in penitence, thou oughtest
not to partake; for he that partakes not, is one of those that are in
penitence. Why then does he say, "Depart, ye that are not qualified to
pray," whilst thou hast the effrontery to stand still? But no, thou art
not of that number, thou art of the number of those who are qualified to
partake, and yet art indifferent about it, and regardest the matter as
nothing.

Look, I entreat: a royal table is set before you, Angels minister at that
table, the King Himself is there, and dost thou stand gaping?" Are thy
garments defiled, and yet dost thou make no account of it?--or are they
clean? Then fall down and partake. Every day He cometh in to see the
guests, and converseth with them all. Yes, at this moment is he speaking
to your conscience; "Friends, how stand ye here, not having on a wedding
garment?" He said not, Why didst thou sit down? no, before he sat down,
He declared him to be unworthy, so much as to come in. He saith not, "Why
didst thou sit down to meat," but, "Why camest thou in?" And these are
the words that He is at this very moment addressing to one and all of us
that stand here with such shameless effrontery. For every one, that
partaketh not of the mysteries, is standing here in shameless effrontery.
It is for this reason, that they which are in sins are first of all put
forth; for just as when a master is present at his table, it is not right
that those servants who have offended him should be present, but they are
sent out of the way: just so also here when the sacrifice is brought
forth, and Christ, the Lord's sheep, is sacrificed; when thou hearest the
words, "Let us pray together," when thou beholdest the curtains drawn up,
then imagine that the Heavens are let down from above, and that the
Angels are descending !

As then it is not meet that any one of the uninitiated be present, so
neither is it that one of them that are initiated, and yet at the same
time defiled. Tell me, suppose any one were invited to a feast, and were
to wash his hands, and sit down, and be all ready at the table, and after
all refuse to partake ; is he not insulting the man who invited him? were
it not better for such an one never to have come at all? Now it is just
in the same way that thou hast come here. Thou hast sung the Hymn with
the rest: thou hast declared thyself to be of the number of them that are
Worthy, by not departing with them that are unworthy. Why stay, and yet
not partake of the table? I am unworthy, thou wilt say. Then art thou
also unworthy of that communion thou hast had in prayers. For it is not
by means of the offerings only, but also by means of those canticles
that  the Spirit descendeth all around. Do we not see our own servants,
first scouring the table with a sponge, and cleaning the house, and then
setting out the entertainment? This is what is done by the prayers, by
the cry of the herald. We scour the Church, as it were, with a sponge,
that all things may be set out in a pure church, that there may be
"neither spot nor wrinkle." (Eph. 5: 27.) Unworthy, indeed, both our eyes
of these sights, and unworthy are our ears ! "And if even a beast," it is
said, "touch the mountain, it shall be stoned." (Ex. 19: 13.) Thus then
they were not worthy so much as to set foot on it, and yet afterwards
they both came near, and beheld where God had stood. And thou mayest,
afterwards, come near, and behold: when, however, He is present, depart.
Thou art no more allowed to be here than the Catechumen is. For it is not
at all the same thing never to have reached the mysteries, and when thou
hast reached them, to stumble at them and despise them, and to make
thyself unworthy of this thing.

One might enter upon more points, and those more awful still; not however
to burden your understanding, these will suffice. They who are not
brought to their right senses with these, certainly will not be with
more. That I may not then be the means of increasing your condemnation, I
entreat you, not to forbear coming, but to render yourselves worthy both
of being present, and of approaching. Tell me, were any king to give
command and to say, "If any man does this, let him partake of my table;"
say, would ye not do all ye could to be admitted? He hath invited us to
heaven, to the table of the great and wonderful King, and do we shrink
and hesitate, instead of hastening and running to it? And what then is
our hope of salvation? We cannot lay the blame on our weakness; we cannot
on our nature. It is indolence and nothing else that renders us unworthy.

So far have I spoken of myself. But may He that pricketh the heart, He
that giveth the Spirit of compunction, pierce your hearts, and plant the
seeds in the depth of them, that so through His fear ye may conceive, and
bring forth the spirit of salvation, and come near with boldness. For,
"thy children," it is said, "are like olive plants round about thy
table." (Ps. 128: 3.) O, then, let there be nothing old, nothing wild,
nothing harsh. For of such sort are the young plants that are fit for
fruit, for the beautiful fruit, fruit I mean of the olive-tree. And
thriving they are, so as all to be round about the table, and come
together here, not in vain or by chance, but with fear and reverence. For
thus shall ye behold with boldness even Christ Himself in heaven, and
shall be counted worthy of that heavenly kingdom, which may God grant we
may all attain, in Jesus Christ, our Lord with whom to the Father,
together with the Holy Spirit, be glory, might, honor, now and ever, and
for ages of ages. Amen.